Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm curious why a draw in the Open class of racing is being used at a flyball tournament I recently read about.  The tournament was sanctioned with a 'limit' placed on Open entries.  All other classes of racing are shown as unlimited.    

In my flyball experiences, I have never used a draw and I've never heard of it being used for the Open class.  I read up on the use of limited entries but I did not find anything that explains why or when to use them.

I would think a limit in Regular or Multibreed might be due to strategies regarding Regional Championship points.  Maybe a host club anticipates they would receive too many entries.  Wouldn't that be a good thing in flyball if lots of teams want to enter your tourney.  Your club makes money, the flyball governing body makes money.  There's more people and dogs having fun.  Word spreads and flyball grows. 

Perhaps there are space constraints for the tourney's location or man-power constraints within the host club(s).  If that's the case, why offer Open at all.  Or, why not limit the other classes equally.

Can it be that Open is too popular.  I'm sure I'm missing the point somehow.

Help, anyone?  

Sincerely,
I Like Flyball

----------------------
Flyball Surgeons General Warning: Attack dogs and owners who do not pick up after their dogs beware of the underground electric fence. No visible training flags.


Flyball Can Be Fun! blog powered by K.I.S.S. (keep it simple sweetie)   

   

2 comments:

petersonmutts said...

Double run on an open and a regular for points.

I Like Flyball said...

Yep, I imagine some folks use Open to double-run. What I really wonder is why limit Open entries at a tournament that is specifically designed to grow flyball. The idea for dual region tourney(s)was created by the flyball governing body expressly for the purpose of promoting/growing flyball in an area that is lacking participation. If the area is lacking in flyballers, there would be no need to place limits on any entries. It appears to be an oxymoron; grow flyball by limiting entries.