Friday, May 25, 2012

If you're new to flyball running your dog for points and flyball titles may be considered meaningless.  In fact, you may be prevented from earning points right in the middle of a race.  It sounds way-out-there and on the brink of being unbelievable, but I just read an article that said this has happened and it is legit.

The article mentions what is called a meaningless heat.  It is something accounted for in the Rules, and it is something that a judge may use to prevent a heat from being run.  

I imagine if you were at your first tournament hoping to earn a few points for your new flyball dog, you might have to catch your breath for a few minutes before you go ask someone "Pardon me?  Umm, what did you just say?  Or, did I hear that right?"

What would you be thinking at that moment.  After all your hard work and effort training your new flyball dog, paying your registration fee to the flyball governing body, joining a club or perhaps helping a club who was short on dogs to make up a team and then paying your tourney entry fee.

I'm pretty sure I would be very disheartened and disappointed at having the opportunity to earn points taken away from my dog.  Isn't that part of the fun of flyball...seeing your dog do it for the first time, earning a few flyball dog titles to show your dog's successes.  

How did the flyball governing body ever come to the conclusion that earning points in some heats doesn't mean anything to you?  Or, to your team?

The following in no way answers the question; however, for what it's worth, here is the definition from the NAFA rulebook as currently published on their website:

"Heats that are meaningless to the outcome of a sanctioned tournament are not to be run just for the sake of allowing teams to accumulate more points toward flyball titles."

If I were new to flyball, I might think my goals or my team's goals didn't matter.  I might quickly decide to go play somewhere else.

Sincerely,
I Like Flyball



----------------------
Flyball Surgeons General Warning: Attack dogs and owners who do not pick up after their dogs beware of the underground electric fence. No visible training flags.




Flyball Can Be Fun! blog powered by K.I.S.S. (keep it simple sweetie)
  


     




 

No comments: