Friday, June 1, 2012

Cheating in flyball.  Sounds funny.

Not 'ha ha' funny; more like strange, weird and what's the point of it.

In a recent internet search about this topic, I came across one statement from a flyball website: "5 judges in the ring ensure that no dog is cheating, and that the races are fair."

Do the dogs cheat?  They might make a mistake but I doubt they are thinking to themselves oh, I'm going around this one jump because I can get to the finish line faster than the other dog.  Well, maybe that's possible, but how would we really know!

Over the years I've heard stories about people cheating in flyball.  That's the past and it can stay there, thank you very much.

But, just recently I read two separate articles that contained terms that sound like cheating.  I don't know for sure because in one instance, I didn't personally witness it and in the other case, I don't have all the facts about the Rules.  None-the-less, the descriptions in each article make their point.

One article uses the term 'going against the spirit and intent' of some of the rules.  The other article and comments describe 'intentionally' mis-running a heat and causing it to be a no-finish in order to keep the race going.  

In each of these cases I am led to believe there was an attempt by a person or persons to gain an unfair advantage or a benefit over and above other flyballers.  It sounds like cheating by most definitions I know, but is there a line at all between cheating and going against the spirit and intent of a rule?

Some say the Rules are only meant to keep the honest folks honest.  And, how do the honest people know what the spirit and intent of a rule really is.  
 
As far as the two articles and the people involved, I am unable to have a solid opinion other than what I read and hear and I'm just wondering outloud.

Sincerely,
I Like Flyball

----------------------
Flyball Surgeons General Warning: Attack dogs and owners who do not pick up after their dogs beware of the underground electric fence. No visible training flags.


Flyball Can Be Fun! blog powered by K.I.S.S. (keep it simple sweetie)


No comments: